Until Tobii (or similar) are part of laptops, it would be awesome to have reading devices automatically measure reading speed. Moreover, on the Kindle, everything is already there – the page turn event is perfect to measure the average reading speed. Want!
Tag Archives: reading
Measuring Reading Speed
Filed under Ideas
Reading a paper call Eye Movements in Reading and Information Processing: 20 Years of Research (published in 1998). Gonna use this thing to take notes.
- It being 11 years old seems a bit old, but perhaps most of the interesting stuff was found early on?
- Basic terminology:
- Saccade – when eye moves from looking at point A to point B
- Duration of a saccade related to distance covered: 2º take 30ms, 5º take 40-50ms
- saccade latency – saccade a motor movement –> latency – 150-170ms.
- separate process: decision on when and where to move eyes
- evidence: cognitive processes can influence latency
- gap effect – if fixation point disappears before appearance of target, latency goes down
Filed under Info Management, Learning