This is amazing. Like legit amazing. Super-bit thanks to Mary, who showed me the light.
Ingredients: (about 6 servings)
- 1/2 cup buckwheat (1 baggie of the Russian kind or just coarse buckwheat)
- 1/2 cup old fashioned / rolled oatmeal (TJ organic)
- 1/4 cup quinoa (TJ organic)
- 1/4 cup brown rice (TJ organic quick cook basmati brown rice)
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 4 cups water
- 1 cut apple
- Big handful of raisin (TJ unsulfured organic Thompson raisins)
- 3-5 dashes of cinnamon
- blueberries, raspberries
- 3 tablespoons (or glugs) of maple syrup (TJ organic)
- Almond Butter
- Add all the grains (oatmeal, quinoa, rice, buckwheat) into a pot with the 4 cups of water
- Bring to a boil
- Lower heat to simmer, cover with lid, and let simmer about 5 min
- Add the rest of the ingredients (cut apple, raisins, coconut, and cinnamon). Optionally also add maple syrup.
- Simmer for another 10 min or until water is mostly absorbed and grains are soft
- Stir frequently during the 15 min cooking time.
- To serve: add fresh blueberries, raspberries, spoonful of almond butter, sliced banana
This stuff stores really really well in the fridge.
- To reheat: add a few glugs/ splashes of almond milk or water and microwave (Mary’s Favorites Modification: add half a frozen banana per serving when reheating)
Super-filling. Healthy. Absolutely amazing.