Monthly Archives: November 2004
Safety at work…
Dolphins save people from a great-white shark
Awesome story: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-1371880,00.html
Link of the day:
Pretty comprehensive election polls I thought you would find interesting; note the sender is more republican than I (believe it or not), so his points below reflect that. My own comments:
The media has painted the election results as a huge cultural / religious divide based on evangelical vs. not evangelical. It appears to be much more complex than that. For starters, evangelicals / born again are only 23% of the electorate. Of the other 77%, 43% voted for Bush – a clear minority, but that’s still 38 million people.
It heartens me that Bush won high school grads and college graduates. Kerry won high school dropouts (tiny number) and grad degrees (also relatively small, arguably removed from reality). Clearly disputes the conventional wisdom that the more educated vote democratic, unless you only count grad degrees as educated.
It further heartens me that every income level above 50K voted for Bush.
Final positive note – huge gains among hispanics and jews.
Bothers me that 42% of people think abortion should be mostly or totally illegal. On the positive side, those numbers indicate that reversing Roe v. Wade will be difficult from a political expediency standpoint.
First time voters went for Kerry, but not nearly as overwhelmingly as expected.
Final note – doing a little math, 44% of voters for Kerry stated that their primary motive was “against Bush” rather than for Kerry. Only 15% of voters for Bush stated that their primary motive was “against Kerry”. Clearly not a successful strategy for the democratic party.
Hope you find this interesting. Best,
Also, note that 53-45 of ppl who work full time voted Bush.
Phenomenal. Life seems like glass. So I hear that if you place pressure at just the right place, it will shatter. Well, I’ve discovered that if you play Halo at just the right time, it will compeltely demolish your weekend. Woohoo?
came back twoish, Capoeira at 4ish – now two blocks from my place – woohoo!!! If only I came back from work on time Picture of the day: [Image removed at request of author until further notice]
In an unbelievable sign of restraint that, as Romain Gary might say, “nobody, including myself, could predict”, I think I am going to sleep instead of going out. On one hand, if I keep missing sleep, I risk sleeping through my own life (which I have been doing successfully for the past several years, and which I decided to halt as of several days ago). On the other hand… I am being stupid.
Ugh… I will so regret these “sober” decisions when I become fully awake…
Iraqi Man’s Slaying Dominates Arab Media
Just another indication of the how US actions are almost completely independent of the reaction in the Arab world. Sad… (thanks Ilya).
Politics and web…
Idea: political web application.
What do I want to know about our politicians when making a decision?
– General profile with a link to something more extensive
– Timeline of decisions (+ ability to search by category)
– Outcome of decisions (effects)
– Analysis by respected institutions/individuals: open discussion in case of disagreements
– conclusive state of affairs by a neutral board (un-biased lawyer think-tanks)
Perhaps this would facilite intelligent re-engagement of the populace in the democratic system?
Arnold for President? Hell’s yeah! Or at least without knowing more about him: successfull at virtually anything he has ever done (bodybuilding, movies, business), impossible to corrupt (what can you possibly give him that he doesn’t already have?), respectable past, smart, good-looking – what more could you ask for? Am curious to see his track record… http://www.nbc5.com/politics/3920533/detail.html?z=dp&dpswid=2265994&dppid=65193